Looking for a flavorful, healthy and simple recipe? Here it is! All you do is throw some ingredients in a Crock-Pot and voila! This recipe is a nice alternative plain chicken tacos – the cilantro really adds a burst of flavor, and the homemade taco seasoning cuts down on the sodium and preservatives found in the packaged product.
This recipe will be a hit with the whole family, and is great party food!
- 16 oz. salsa (hot, medium or mild – it’s up to you)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- If you love the flavor of lime, add in 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 fresh jalapenos, chopped (if you like less spice only use one or sub a can of green chiles)
- 1.25 oz (7.5 tsp) taco seasoning mix (*see recipe below). In a pinch, use one package low-sodium dry taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (and a little extra for garnish)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Taco Seasoning Mix
- 6 tsp Chili Powder
- 5 tsp Paprika
- 4 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 3 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
*makes about 1/2 cup (21 tsp)
In storage container with tight-fitting lid, combine all ingredients; mix well. Seal tightly. Store in cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Makes about 1/2 cup (21 tsp)
1. Place salsa, lime juice, taco seasoning, cilantro and salt in slow cooker. Mix well.
2. Add in chicken breasts, onion and jalapeno, stir to coat with the salsa mixture.
3. Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until chicken is tender (or 6-8 hours on low).
4. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the slow cooker & shred with two forks
5. Serve in a whole wheat, high-fiber tortilla as a burrito, enchilada or quesadilla. Or, go low-carbor gluten free: omit the torillas and serve in a lettuce wrap or just on a plate with a little cheese & light sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt. Yum!
Per serving: Calories 257, Fat 3g, Carbs 10g, Protein 48g