“All You Need Is A Little Space”: Exercise 2
(Each month we post a workout – one exercise per week for four weeks, culminating in the entire workout together)
The speed squat is an exercise that helps you learn how to jump squat properly, without having to leave the ground. This is especially helpful for those of you with injuries that prevent you from jumping (or having any impact on your knees/hips/ankles).
People generally don’t get triple extension when they do a jump squat becuase they aren’t doing them properly. What is triple extension? It’s when a movement targets the hips, knees and ankles with explosive, forceful movements. It’s a great way to condition muscles and ligaments so that you can run faster, jump higher, and drive and push off harder. Learning a proper speed squat will help train your body the correct way to do a jump squat – and achieve the elusive triple extension!
- Start with feet shoulder width apart
- Squat down with your arms coming down with you to your sides
- As you come up, explosively drive through the ground and swing your arms overhead in a Y position.
- Finish with arms straight and finish in that triple-extension position
- Feet shoulder width apart
- Finish with ankles, knees and hips straight
If you have any questions or comments, hit us up on Facebook