We’re now officially in winter! What says “Winter” better than soup? This beef and barley soup is so comforting, it will warm you to the core! It’s chock full of fresh, healthy ingredients,and packed with protein and fiber. It’s the perfect meal on a chilly night!
Servings: 10 cups of soup
Prep Time: 10 minuter
Cook Time: 2.5 hours
- 2 tablespoons coconut or rice bran oil
- 1 pound grass fed beef shanks
- 2 tsp each Unrefined sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, plus leaves, chopped
- 1/2 turnip, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces brown mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced (cremini preferable, white works as well)
- 4 good sized minced cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 3/4 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oil in a medium Dutch oven or a large pot over medium-high heat. Season beef with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and brown on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil, and cook onion, carrot, turnip, celery and mushrooms until golden, about 10 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add garlic and tomato paste, and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and add wine. Return to heat, and bring to a boil. Stir to prevent sticking. Reduce by half, about 5 minutes.
- Return beef shanks to pot, and add stock and water. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and place in hot oven. Let bake for 1 hour. Remove from heat and transfer shanks to plate. When cool enough to handle, remove meat and shred back into soup. Save the marrow for the pot or for spreading on toast.
- Add barley, and bake, covered, for another hour.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley.
Nutrition (per serving)
Makes 10 servings
Calories 175, Carbs 13, Fat 8, Protein 12, Sugar 2