Save the carbs and calories – use a lettuce wrap!
You can use a lettuce wrap for anything you’d put in bread or a tortilla – from fajitas and burritos to sandwiches. But, our favorite are these Asian-style lettuce wraps, that are low carb, low fat, low in calories and HIGH in protein. You’ll eat these with ZERO guilt – and kids love them, too!
INGREDIENTS (serves 4):
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 oz raw cashews
- 1/2 cup diced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/4 handful chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1-2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the wraps:
Use any hearty leaf: Romaine hearts, collard leaves or cabbage leaves work best in terms of staying together, and you end up with a crunchy, easy-to-eat lettuce “boat.”
- Warm 2 tsp coconut oil in a cast-iron pan
- Brown the meat and veggies
- When it’s just about done, add your cashews, cilantro, ginger and soy sauce – and mix to coat.
- Transfer mixture to lettuce boats and enjoy!
Per serving (makes 4 servings of 2 wraps per person): 224 calories, 8g carbs, 9g fat, 28g protein, 369g sodium, 3g sugar